Outstanding learning experiences take place in classrooms across our region every day. To recognize and say thanks to all those who create or support them, the Consortium launched the Champions of Learning Awards.
We take nominations from early September to late November every year. Selection committees review nominations in each of six categories to choose finalists. Categories include: The Arts, Business Partnerships, Classroom Teaching, Community Outreach, Leadership and Volunteerism.
Winners are announced at an awards dinner in April that’s modeled on the Academy Awards, down to the suspenseful moments when our gala’s emcee asks for “the envelope please.”
The competition isn’t limited to professional educators. We honor all those who work in partnership with our schools—individuals, businesses, cultural institutions and community organizations—to give our region’s youth inspired and exciting learning opportunities.
- The Arts – Jayne Sheldon
- Classroom Teaching – Howard Johnson
- Leadership – Jennifer Pappasergi
- Business Partnerships – Terry McMillen
- Community Outreach – Southwestern PA BotsIQ
- Technology Integration – Lee Cristofano
- The Arts – Joy Gazi
- Classroom Teaching – Brian Garlick
- Leadership – Norman Catalano
- Business Partnerships – All-Clad Metalcrafters Corp.
- Community Outreach – Margie Marks
- Technology Integration – Lyndsay Brown
- Nominator’s Choice – Deanna Baird
- Open to individuals, school districts, non-profit organizations and businesses
- Program active since: 2015
- The Arts
- Classroom Teaching
- Business Partnerships
- Community Outreach
- Technology Integration
- Call for Nominations early September
- Nominations due mid November
- Committees review nominations December
- Finalists announced January
- Champions Awards Dinner April
Program Point of Contact