At a virtual awards event, The Consortium for Public Education and United Way of Southwestern Pennsylvania honored six individuals with Champions of Learning Awards for contributions they make professionally or as volunteers to support outstanding learning experiences and activities for youth across southwestern Pennsylvania. The awards video can be replayed online.
“Along with our other finalists, all of these professionals contribute both through their work and their examples to support our region’s children and youth,” said the Consortium’s Executive Director, Mary Kay Babyak. “We’re delighted to recognize their efforts and we’re just sorry we couldn’t present these awards in person this year.”
COVID-19 restrictions made it necessary to cancel an awards ceremony that had been planned in May. Thursday’s virtual event took its place.
The 2020 award winners are:
- Joseph DeMar, a Principal in Upper St. Clair School District, in the Leadership category;
- Jerone Morris, a Pittsburgh Public Schools teacher, in the K-6 Educators category;
- Jennifer Neill, a Laurel Highlands School District teacher, in the 7-12 Educators category
- Lora Zemanek, a Youth Program Manager for Venture Outdoors, in the Community Partner/Providerscategory
- Glynn Newcamp, a Bus Driver in Pine-Richland School District, in the School Staff category
- Susan Rendulic, from South Hills Interfaith Movement, in the Volunteers category